Innovation, Value & Service since 1958

BON HISTORY


Bon Tool Co.'s success is sustained through the focus on three basic priorities: Innovation, Value and Service. With attention to these priorities Bon has distinguished itself as a leading manufacturer of hand tools for the building trades.

 

As a third generation family business, we understand our reputation is on the line with every transaction, no matter how small or how large. With every call, every ordered fulfilled, and every business decision made, we work hard to maintain our respected position in the marketplace.

 

The Company is Formed in 1958

Bon Tool Co. was founded in 1958 on the strength of the Masonry Guide, an alignment system that eliminates the need for masons to “build a lead” before beginning to brick project. The Masonry Guide with permanently marked modular and brick scales proved to revolutionize brick and block work, saving time and money on the jobsite.

 

The Early Years  

The company was originally incorporated as Masonry Specialty and was located in Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania where a small manufacturing facility was opened. Since masons were not familiar with the concept of Masonry Guides, the product was sold primarily out of the back of a truck by salesmen who would train masons on the jobsite. Soon supplementary masonry products were added to inventory and over time the product offering expanded to other building trades.

 

It was in 1967 when Carl Bongiovanni, Sr received a Sears & Roebuck catalog the idea of marketing through print was solidified. Nearly every year since then, Bon has published a master catalog of its full product line. Just as young children in the 70’s looked forward to scanning the toys in the Sears book, we know professional tradesmen appreciate perusing the tools in our catalog.

 

The company was renamed Bon Tool Co in 1987 to better represent the wide selection of tools being manufactured and distributed.

 

A Time of Growth

In 1981 Bon moved to Gibsonia, Pennsylvania to a new 15-acre campus location which greatly increased Bon’s office and warehouse space, and allowed for even greater expansion in the years to follow. It was in 1998 that a new manufacturing facility was added, and in 2003 a distribution center was built on the Gibsonia property. 

 

Beginning in the mid 1990’s Bon concentrated efforts to manufacturing it better and more efficiently. This meant acquiring more tooling and increasing Bon’s engineering capabilities. Companies and assets purchased include the 2004 acquisition of Kramer Brothers Foundry, maker of Gem Cement Tools; the 2005 acquisition of the assets of U.B. Tool; the 2006 acquisition of the assets of Cowanesque Valley Iron Works; the acquisition of the assets of O-Tool Company in 2007; and in 2008 Bon acquired the assets of Wha-Lite Corp., maker of lightweight concrete and plaster finishing tools.

 

In 2005 Bon opened its Western Distribution Center in Henderson, Nevada. This expansion allows for one-day shipping to most US location.

 

Bon Today
In 2018 Bon celebrates its 60th anniversary. Currently, Bon offers a selection of more than 6,000 contractor-grade tools, light equipment and materials for masonry, concrete finishing and decorative concrete, drywall and EIFS, floor covering, material handling and general construction. With a firm commitment to our core values, Bon is well positioned to meet the challenges of the decades ahead. Product innovation, value and service remain our principle focus, but they are only part of our equation for success. In order to ensure that our finest quality tools make it into the hands of discerning tradesmen, Bon relies on its manufacturing, sales and distribution staff as well. Together, the divisions of Bon Tool Co. remain committed to doing it better!